Helping couples with alimony, custody and more
Divorce entails crucial decision-making, best done with the precision and expertise that only a well-versed attorney can offer. I’ll help you wade through it without any unnecessary added stress or hardships. Aside from knowing general divorce law, I have extensive knowledge of the laws specific to New York City, making me able to provide advice and wisdom to clients dissolving a marriage in New York.
Let’s get to work.
My clients are fought for with the passion and precision only an expert attorney can offer. I work collaboratively with my clients to develop the best possible solutions for all aspects of the case. Such aspects include:
- Child custody and visitation — Court orders determine where your child will live, how parenting time will be split and to what degree each parent gets to make decisions about their child’s life. I will ensure your parental rights are protected while advocating for your children’s welfare.
- Child support — A number of factors are used to calculate child support payments, from each parent’s income to each child’s particular needs. I work to establish an order that’s fair to all parties.
- Distribution of property — The division of your home and other assets often depends on whether property is owned by a couple or by just one spouse. I will help you negotiate a fair division of the marital estate.
- Division of marital debts — Both spouses may be accountable for debts accrued by the couple, or one partner may be found to be more responsible than the other.
- Spousal support and temporary support — Whether you seek or must provide spousal support (alimony) on a permanent or temporary basis, we will decide on a fair determination so that divorce doesn’t leave you financially strapped.
With commitment and conviction, I argue for fair arrangements, always keeping in mind your best interests and those of your children.
Mediation and litigation
The course that your divorce takes will depend on your circumstances. Most couples will first try to work things out in mediation rather than opting to let a judge decide the terms of their divorce. Mediation gives you and your spouse the opportunity to negotiate a divorce settlement in a structured setting through a trained facilitator, in a process that fosters cooperation and removes the unpredictability and uncertainty of litigation. It also often reduces the time and cost of divorce and puts the decisions in your hands.
If litigation is necessary to reach just and equitable resolutions to alimony, custody and other matters, I am prepared to advocate on your behalf in court in pursuit of the most favorable outcome.
Contact Mark to discuss your case
Mark Weaver Law represents New York clients in divorce matters. To schedule an appointment, call Mark at (646) 331-3686.
Due to the pandemic, all consultations are being conducted virtually, via Zoom, Google Meet, or Jitsi, until further notice.
If you are unemployed or underemployed due to COVID-19, please inquire about a discount.